Thursday, January 15, 2015

Easy Microwave Sweet Potato

Growing up we had potatoes just about every evening for supper.  Baked, fried, roasted.....we never got tired of them.   I LOVED it!

We may have made the switch from Russet to Yukon Gold over the last 13 years of marriage, but I still love a good baked, or roasted potato with a meal.

In the past couple of years my family has been eating a little differently and those baked potatoes haven't made it on our plates nearly as much.  The new kid on the block has been the sweet potato.
It's only been recently that I've started to enjoy eating them, though.

The cooking method is what gets me.  I could put them in the crockpot, but that takes 6 or 7 hours.  I could bake them, but that takes at least 1 hour.  Unfortunately, I'm not a planner and we would never have sweet potatoes with our meals if I had to rely on these methods.

Since I needed a better method for me, Kevin and I have worked together to figure out an easy way to cook them and get them to the supper table quickly.  LOVE my microwave!!

Here's what you do:
  • Wash and dry your sweet potato.  Then place it in the microwave.  Don't worry about poking holes.  We place it straight in the microwave, but it can always be put on a plate or dish to cook.
  • Cook on high for 5 minutes.
  • Flip the sweet potato over and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes.
  • At this point, the sweet potato should be really soft.
  • Let set until you can handle it without burning your fingers.
  • Start peeling the skin off your sweet potato.  (Use a knife to get things started, if you like)
The skin should just peel right off and leave you with all the wonderful meat for your meal.

What to put on it?  A little coconut oil is good.  Or you could add some cinnamon, too.  I like just putting a little salt and pepper on it.  Very simple, but satisfying!

Enjoy a sweet potato with your next meal and let me know how you like it!

** Nutritional values of sweet potato vs potato.  Incase you wanted to compare.  There's not a huge difference overall, but the Vitamin A content difference is amazing!


        
        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...