Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Painting Tips & Tricks: Clean it Up

The final step in your painting project is going to be cleaning it all up so you can enjoy your new prettied up space.  There are a couple of things you can do along the way to make the end job easier.

1.  Keep a rag handy for those little oops's that happen along the way.  I know some people like to have a dry rag and others who say have a wet or damp rag.  I think it's a personal preference.  Me? I use my shirt.  Why?  There is a lot of space I can use to clean with and it is always with me as I go around the room.  I'm already looking for all my other tools, keeping track of a rag is not something I want to do.
These are a couple of camp shirts I've had since high school.  As you can see, I've had to clean up a few times over the years of painting.  I either wrap my finger in the material and wipe the area that needs cleaning or I use my finger and then wipe it on the shirt.  For me, it works.

 2.  Learn what NEEDS to be cleaned up right away and what can wait.  Drips on hard flooring can often times be left to dry and clean up later.  Just make sure they are out of the way and not in a place that will be tracked.  After that little drip has dried, just scrape it up gently with your fingernail.  If the drip gets smeared or is in the middle of your space, go ahead and clean it up.

Before

After

When final clean up time rolls around, it doesn't have to be a big production.   This can actually be done very easily.  Here are a couple ideas to help you get to the point of finally being able to put your feet up and relax after a job well done.

1.  Remember latex paint is water based and your paint brush can be cleaned almost all the way using just water.  For the last little bit, use a gentle cleaner.  My Dish Wash is gentle on everything except the dirt I need to get rid of.

 Honestly, I can't believe my favorite brush came clean.  Please remember to clean your brush soon after finishing your project.  I ended up waiting a month and thought I was going to have to throw the brush in the trash.  So glad Shaklee works!

2.  Don't worry about cleaning out your paint tray immediately.  If you have the time, just set the tray to the side somewhere and let it dry.  Once it's dry, the paint can just be peeled up with very little effort.  Even better.  Hand the tray off to one of your kids and let them do the job.  My kids actually fight over who gets the privilege {ahem} of peeling the paint.
3.  While I don't have a picture of this, I think you will get the point of this last idea.  Just go ahead and throw the paint roller in the trash.  Yep.  Just toss it.  New rollers aren't that expensive and it's a lot of effort for not a lot of return.

Those are my little pearls of wisdom.  Let me know what helped you and any ideas you have that would help me and others.  I'm always looking for great tips and tricks to use in my life.

Want to read the other Painting Tips & Tricks posts?  Here are the links to all of them!
Prepping Your Space
Protect Your Throne
Put it Under Wraps


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...