Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Basic H2 Produce Wash

Do you wash your produce?

Here's a little background on our story.
{cue flashback waves}

There were many months we didn't have fresh fruit in the house when our daughter was first diagnosed with Leukemia.  At that time, the doctors told us to keep her from eating fresh fruit - strawberries, apples, berries, anything with a thin or edible skin - when she was neutropenic. To say our family loves fresh fruit is an understatement!  Plus, we were trying to protect one child and felt the need to restrict the other 4.  How do you tell a 5 yr old she can't have a bowl full of berries when her siblings are stuffing their faces with the one food that sounds good to her?  Thankfully, she was diagnosed at a time in the year when a lot of fruits the kids love were out of season.  We moved to a lot of frozen and canned fruits to curb her cravings, but it just wasn't the same.  For any of us.  It was such a relief when that restriction was lifted for all the patients last year.

Fast forward to the present.  While we no longer have the restriction to worry about, we still have times when Madi becomes neutropenic.  I can't just look at her and see when her immune system is low or nonexistent.  She has to have blood tests to determine her ANC, and those only happen once a month these days.  So, we take as many precautions as possible and within reason.  We don't want her to be afraid to live life; but, oh, how I wish we could just put her in a bubble some days!

One of the things we do to protect her (and the rest of us) is to wash our produce.  The main one for the kids, though, is fruit.  And we go through a lot of fruit.  I typically purchase 2, 2 pound packages of strawberries from Sam's Club or the local grocery store every time I'm out shopping.  That can be up to 3 times a week!  Imagine all the yuck that is on those strawberries that can end up in our bodies.  So, cleaning them is top priority for me.  Along with all the apples and other berries we buy.

Basic H2 comes to our rescue so often, I feel like there is nothing this bottle of cleaner can't do.  Such a simple step to keeping my family healthy.

I fill my kitchen sink with water, add a few drops of Basic H2 concentrate, add strawberries and let them soak for a several minutes.  (For some reason swishing the berries around in the water makes me feel good, too.)  

 After the berries have soaked, simply drain the cleaning solution and rinse the berries.  That's it!  This can be used to clean fruits and veggies.  When cleaning bigger produce like potatoes, cucumbers, apples or such, simply spray them down with your Basic H2 All Purpose solution, scrub and rinse.
Now.  This all sounds good, I know.  But, if you are like me, just about everything in life boils down to  'how much is this going to cost me?'.  I was raised this way, so it's ingrained.  I want to get the best deal for my dollar.  Thanks to Shaklee, I get an amazing product that is safe and works at a truly amazing price.

This month you can get even more for your money.  If you purchase the Get Clean Starter Kit, you will qualify for the February special.
Super Value!

As always - if you have any questions, don't hesitate to get in touch with me.  I'm always happy to help!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...