Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Scrabble Remix

I would love to claim this idea as mine, but I can't.  However, they say imitation is the best form of flattery, right?

My sister gave this to my parents this year for Christmas.
It has all 16 grandkids' names on the game play area and the initials of us kids and our spouses on the side.  I absolutely fell in love with it and decided to make one for my own home!

There was quite a bit of trial and error.  I had to order more tiles off Amazon.com to have enough of the letters I needed, too.  Did you know there are only 2 'V's in a game set?  I managed to use 3 on our board.  I also needed more 'L's, 'S's, 'M's and 'K's.  Spreading everything out on a flat surface and playing around with words and configurations really helped.
I didn't have as many names to work with as my sister, but I was able to fill our board pretty well.  Seven names and a few extra words later, I have my very own board completed.

What do ya think?  I'm so pleased with the results!  Of course, while working on this for our family, I had so many ideas about other themes:

Wedding present - marriage, love, commitment, bride, groom, names, God, faith....
Baby boy - name, date, blessing, gift, love, dirt, trucks, snakes, snails, puppy tails...
Baby girl - name, date, blessing, gift, frills, lace, sugar, spice....
Also, sports, cars, just about any interest.  You could even just have a mock game set up for a game room.  So many ways to do this.  With or without a board, too.

I attached all the letter tiles to the board with rubber cement.  Whatever glue you choose, make sure you don't put on too much.  Don't want it squishing out the sides.  The black background in the shadow box  is fabric, so I was able to use velcro to stabilize the board and the tile holders.  Over all the project is quite easy.  The hardest part was figuring out which words to use.


~~Don't forget the February Special from Shaklee!!~~

1 comment:

  1. FYI - I accidentally found another option for this type of projects. I set up my Scrabble board with names/words including the letter-holder - then took a picture straight-down on the board on a wood table near a window. The result was a picture with letter-shadows that looked 3-dimensional. I sent the picture to Walgreens and had it printed on a 12x12 canvas (60% off sale). The wood table part of the picture wrapped around the edges. I still have a Scrabble game that I can reuse for another project - or just to play the game.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...